Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Visa

My visa has been issued by the German Embassy Islamabad or the Consulate in Karachi: Could I use this visa to make a sidetrip to other European countries (for example to France or Austria)?

Yes , you can. According to the Schengen agreement, visas are also valid for Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden. Please note, however, that you always have to apply at the consulate of the country which is your primary destination.

If you intend to visit several of the above-mentioned countries but do not have a primary destination, you should apply at the consulate of the country which is your first point of entry.

I've already made a trip to Germany with a visa ("Schengener Staaten" is mentioned on the visa sticker) issued by the German Embassy or Consulate. I think the visa is still valid and I`m planning now a business trip to Italy for example. Can I use this visa?

Yes, you can. Please check your visas' validity, its number of entries and the maximum duration of stay (both are mentioned on your visa sticker) carefully.

My flight itinerary requires an overnight stay at a German airport. Do I have to apply for an airport transit visa or a regular visa?

As a Pakistani national you require an airport transit visa (that is a visa for short stopovers while you are waiting a few hours for your onward flight in the airport's international transit area).

Please note that a stay in airport transit areas is only possible at the airports in Frankfurt/Main, Hamburg and München.

However, as a Pakistani national you do not require an airport transit visa if you have a permanent residence permit for Andorra, Canada, Ireland, Japan, Liechtenstein, Monaco, San Marino, Switzerland, UK, Vatican or the United States of America.

Hotel accommodation is only available outside the transit area. Please apply for a regular tourist visa if you want to stay outside the airport overnight.

My flight itinerary requires airport transit in Germany, however I do not have a confirmed onward flight from Germany. Do I have to apply for an airport transit visa or a regular visa?

If you don't have a confirmed onward flight from Germany you have to apply for a regular tourist visa.

I am planning to apply for a visa at the German Embassy or Consulate, how long should my passport be valid ?

Your passport should be valid for at least 3 months upon conclusion of your trip.

This website tells me that I have to show my bank statement when applying for a visa. I don't have a bank account / my balance is low and the trip will be paid by my friends/relatives in Germany. What do I have to submit ?

Ask your friends/relatives to sign an official affidavit of support (called "Verpflichtungserklärung" in German).

How can my friends/relatives in Germany get an official affidavit of support (so-called "Verpflichtungserklärung") ?

Your friends can get this document at the local Aliens' office at their place of residence in Germany. Please bring the original of this affidavit when applying for your visa.

I want to visit my friends/relatives. My own funds are sufficient so I'm paying for the trip myself. What kind of invitation should I submit ?

Just ask your friends/relatives to send you an informal invitation. Name, address and a copy of the friend's/relative's passport. A copy of the residence permit is an additional requirement if your friend/relative in Germany is not a German national. If your friends/relatives pay for your travel expenses you will need to submit an official affidavit of support.

I have my own business and therefore cannot bring an employment letter. What documents should I submit ?

Please include your business registration, your tax returns and your latest bank statement to complete your application.

Why am I required to have a health insurance coverage for the Schengen states ?

Imagine you have an accident during your stay in the Schengen states. Please check carefully whether your medical insurance will also cover costs for medical treatment abroad. If yours does not, you need to submit a health insurance covering your stay in Europe when applying for the visa.

Please see the list of health insurance companies in Pakistan complying with the Schengen requirements on our website

My spouse is a German national. We both plan to establish a joint residence in Germany. Do I get a German work permit immediately after we move to Germany ?

The residence permit will be issued by the Aliens' Office after your arrival in Germany. The issuance of a work permit is within the discretion of the Aliens'office at your future place of residence in Germany.

My spouse is a German national. We 're both residents in Pakistan and planning to spend our vacation in Germany. I learned from your list that I'm required to hold a visa to enter Germany. What do I have to submit ?

Just submit your application and the requirements listed for the type of visa you are applying for. If you attach an original or certified copy of your spouse's German passport and the original or certified copy of your marriage certificate you will get the visa free of charge and are exempt from the proof of health insurance and bank statement.

Please note, however, that your visa is only good for stays up to 90 days. If you want to live and work in Germany you need to apply for a residence permit.

I've heard that Germany has a shortage of IT specialists. I'm an IT-expert and would be interested to work in Germany. How can I find an employer and how can I apply for a residence and work permit ?

The Federal Employment Agency has set up an online job fair (see link below) where you can introduce yourself and present your curriculum vitae. Companies also post job openings in this online fair. Of course, you may also apply directly to a company in Germany. As soon as you have a written formal notice that a work permit will be issued, you can apply for an entrance visa at the German Embassy or Consulate which has jurisdiction for your place of residence.

My employer is sending me to work in Germany for a few years in its office. May my wife and children follow me ?

Yes, in general they may. Aliens eligible to obtain a residence and work permit may be followed by members of their family. Please submit your marriage certificate and your children's birth certificates when applying for their residence permit.

I'm a legal resident alien in Pakistan and would like to work in Germany for a few years. However, I do not have any contact with an employer in Germany yet. How can I apply for a residence and work permit?

First things first: It is essential to find an employer in Germany who is willing to make you a job offer. Once you got a job offer, please apply for a residence and work permit.

We want our minor child to accompany us to Germany. How do we apply for a visa ?

A birth certificate of your child is an additional requirement. The visa application of your child needs to be signed by both parents. Please make sure that you include a family court order if only one parent has full custody.

How long will I have to wait for my visa ?

Usually, the processing time for visa applications is around 11 days. If long-term residence permits or visa for employment in Germany are applied for, the processing time will be up to several months.

Visa Fees

For applications at the Embassy Islamabad, please note that at the time of application an amount of 500,- PKR is due for returning the passports through a courier service. 
While submitting the application, you will be given a pay slip. Please take this slip to the Standard Chartered Bank, Diplomatic Enclave Branch only, and pay the visa fee. The bank will report your payment to the Embassy. A fee of 700,- PKR will be levied by the bank.
If your appointment falls on an official banking holiday,
the payment of fees cannot be settled the same day.

For applications at the Consulate General Karachi, please note that the visa fee (equivalent in PKR) has to be paid in CASH at time of submission.

Schengen visa / Short-term visa (cat. "C")

60€ (in Rupees)

Airport transit (cat. "A")

60€ (in Rupees)

National German visa (e.g. study family reunion, etc. - Long-term visa)
(cat. "D")

75€ (in Rupees)

Children aged 0-17 for family reunion
37,50€ (in Rupees)

Spouses/children of citizens of the EU

exempted from visa fees

Visa applications procedure


Visa applications can only be submitted in person.

At the Embassy in Islamabad visa appointments are given online only. We ask for your understanding that appointment requests by phone or e-mail will remain unanswered.

---Your complaint – our plea to show more fairness!

Please cancel your visa appointment as soon as you know that you are not going to use it!

You will enable other applicants to use that slot.

No-shows will be monitored and if necessary registered.---

Please note that from 11 September 2017 online appointment system has been implemented at the Consulate General in Karachi. No application will be accepted without an online appointment. 

The visa sections can only be reached during official office hours !

Visa applications of minors need to include the written consent of their parents/custodians.

The processing time for short-term visa applications will take about fourteen days after the appointment. Especially during summer, there might be a considerable waiting period of more than four weeks for an appointment. Therefore, please book an appointment as soon as you know when you want to travel and compile the necessary documents until your interview.

Visa-related inquiries for individual cases at the Embassy Islamabad can only be submitted in writing and need to be signed by the applicant or his/her legal representative. Therefore, such enquiries cannot be made by e-mail and if made by e-mail will not be answered.

Please note that mobile phones and bags can unfortunately not be taken into the buildings of the German Missions.

Embassy Islamabad - Visa Section               

Tel: (0092-51) 2279430-35

Fax: (0092-51) 227 8917

E-Mail:  visainfo @ isla. diplo. de

Opening hours visa section

Monday to Friday: 8:00 - 12:00 hrs

Collection of passports

Tuesday to Thursday: 08:00 hrs

General Inquiries via phone

Monday-Thursday from 14:00 - 16:00 hrs

No inquiries regarding the status of a specific visa application, please!

Submission of additional/missing documents only on demand of the Visa Section
Only on Monday and Tuesday from 8:00 - 10:00 hrs

Consulate General Karachi - Visa Section      

Tel.: (0092-21) 3587 3782

Fax: (0092-21) 3582 1597

Opening hours visa section

Monday to Friday: 8:30 - 11:00 hrs

Collection of passports

Monday to Thursday: 14:00 - 15:00

Friday 12:00 - 13:00 hrs

Ten ways


...  to avoid intricacies with your schengen visa application.

Important note !


Application forms are also available at the visa section - free of charge. Persons outside the visa section offering their services for the visa procedure neither work for nor work with the consent of the visa section. In case these persons do promise any favour regarding the issuance of a visa, please report to the visa officer at the counter.

The German Missions reserve the right to request additional documents

Applications will only be accepted and processed after the submission of all required documents - failure to do so will result in the refusal of the visa.

Applicants are kindly asked to note that compliance with the afore mentioned conditions does not automatically guarantee that a visa will be issued.

Even with a valid visa, the competent German border authorities may refuse entry into the territory of Germany. In such cases, the Government of Germany accepts no liability.


Although the information on this website has been prepared with utmost care, we can not accept any responsibility for inaccuracies contained herein.